By: Julie Leonard
It is four years since I packed up everything and moved to Munich. I had been very independent in Scotland. I had a nice house, a great social life and a 20 year career. But I was burnt out and looking for a change so I happily moved for love and became an expat.
Once I’d had time to settle in to my new city, I started to think about what I could do here for a living. Back home I had studied Psychology and then worked for mental health charities for over 20 years. I loved the work I did, supporting women to recover and even more importantly to be happy. I had always wanted to be a Life Coach and it was the perfect job combining my passion for happiness, my love of working with women and all my years of experience. I also wanted some work-life balance and a job that would enable me to work around having a child too. I also wanted to work in English, my German was and still is not good enough!Don’t let language be a barrier.
So with my minimal German, I muddled through finding out how to set up a business in Germany and three years ago I launched my Life Coaching business (http://www.potentiacentre.com/) And now, as part of my coaching business, I support other women to do the same.
I am also a qualified Aromatherapist and last year I set up my online shop of Handmade Natural Products. And this year I launched my mobile massage business.
I know that for many expat women here in Munich it can be difficult to work out what you can do here or to believe that you too can be a successful entrepreneur. You just need to find the right support and believe in yourself!
So, maybe you want to make a change but don’t know where to start. Or have no idea what you could do. Begin to get some clarity by answering the following questions:
1. What is my passion? Or passions? If you are going to start your own business then do something that you love. And many jobs now don’t have to follow a conventional route. It’s possible to combine your passions and create the job that you want. I combine my love of people, my passion for happiness, my interest in essential oils and my skills as a therapist to create a holistic coaching practice.
2. What problem will you solve? It is essential to be clear on what difference you are going to make with your product or service. For me I have the tools and skills to support women to make positive transformations in their lives.
3. Is anyone else doing it? Check out the competition, if there is any. What are they doing? How are they doing it? What are they charging? Most of us aren’t creating something new, but we can find our niche.
4. What are the start up costs? Be realistic in what you need and what you have. Perhaps you would like your own storefront one day but can start with an online shop.
5. What do I have? We often focus on what we don’t know, the skills we don’t have, what we can’t do. Shift your attention to what you can do. The rest you can learn or outsource.
There are lots of resources to help you become a mompreneur including co-working with childcare spaces courtesy of Lia-Life- Atelier https://www.lia-life-atelier.com/services
If these questions have got you thinking and you’d like to explore the idea of being a mompreneur too, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a FREE Discovery Call. Über Moms get 10% off all my coaching sessions.
Julie Leonard – Life Coach, Aromatherapist, Seminar Facilitator and Speaker.
I never used to be this confident! For a long time I was very shy and anxious but I changed my self and turned my life around and I am passionate about sharing my techniques and 25 years of experience with you so that you too can transform your life and feel truly happy. My other love is essential oils and how to use them every day for self care. My current favourite is Frankincense. And I’ll happily chat to anyone about them over a cup of tea and some freshly baked scones!
Über Moms benefit from a 10% discount on all Life Coaching sessions.